First Baptist Church announces the Search for
Qualifications of Director of Youth Ministries
As a minimum, a director of youth ministries needs to demonstrate the following:
· A personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord as well as a strong desire to
serve within the church;
· A sense of calling to youth ministry;
· Ability to work with youth and young adults;
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
· Ability to plan, organize, lead, and guide complex projects and spontaneous activities
related to student ministries in conjunction with staff and lay leadership of FBC Jamestown.
· Competence in basic lay counseling and listening skills appropriate for youth ministry and
the ability to see when the need is greater or out of the scope of the Director of Youth.
· Willingness to work cooperatively with others, to maintain a positive outlook and
disposition, and to be flexible in solving problems;
· The ability to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality.
Refraining from indiscriminately sharing personal information is critical. Discretion must be
exercised when dealing with the public, youth and their parents, and the church’s leaders and members;
· Weekly attendance at worship, Sunday School and Wednesday night youth activities is
· Completion of some college-level or higher course work in Christian Education and/or
Youth Ministry, and/or comparable experience is desired but not required.
In addition this position requires:
· Satisfactory Security Check;
· Reliable transportation.
Applicants are requested to provide resume and three (3) references
The Director of Youth Ministries leads a Christian ministry to the youth of First Baptist Church
Jamestown. This ministry is one that will foster faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and
equip youth to be ministers of the Christian faith.
This position is part time, 10 hour per week.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Planning, conducting, coordinating, evaluating, and selecting and providing resources for
the church’s ministry to youth in conjunction with Church leadership and the Youth Committee.
2. Build relationships of integrity with youth that become the basis of meeting needs, sharing
Christ, and involving youth in peer ministry with other youth;
3. Coordinate all aspects of the 6-12 Grade Youth Group, ensuring there is opportunity to
develop fellowship, spiritual formation, discipleship and the experiencing of Christian
community. Various material and age appropriate styles of presentation are encouraged.
Opportunity should also be given for youth to plan mission responses, witness events,
fellowship experiences and trips as well as other recreational activities;
4. Take primary lead in teaching the youth on Wednesday night fellowships and Bible study.
5. Enlist adult and youth to participate in a Youth Committee to deal with concerns and
views of the Youth Sunday School and Youth Group.
6. Meet with the Youth Committee periodically to schedule, plan, and carry out all youth
ministry activities. This includes delegating appropriate responsibilities to members of the Youth Committee and other youth workers to carry out parts of those plans.
7. Help develop resources to raise funds and raise funds to help support mission
opportunities and trips. Which includes being responsible for securing all necessary funds,
travel arrangements, leadership, adult chaperones, and providing Christian teaching, times for worship, prayer and scripture study throughout youth trips, retreats, and mission/work camp experiences;
8. Develop relationships and maintain regular communication with parents of participating
9. Other duties as directed by the Senior Pastor.
1. Attend regularly and specially called staff meetings and retreats, as able;
2. Attend church leadership meeting and business meetings and other meetings as needed
3. Prepare and submit annual goals for the church year in consultation with the Senior
Pastor, Youth Committee and ministerial staff.
4. Prepare and submit an annual summary report of the mission, goals, plans and
successes in youth ministry.